Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Travel from Hell

Well, I made it back to Michigan in one piece after a travel from hell trip. Traveling to my brother's in Illinois should have only been a 2 hour plane trip. He lives just 5 minutes from a smaller airport and things should have gone smoothly. But, on the day we were supposed to leave, there was a butt load of fog in Illinois, so our flight was initially delayed, then canceled. Unfortunately, because my sister, her husband and their 21 month old son, did not book their flights on the same itinerary as my step-dad and I, we were not to be rebooked on the same flight, and, we were not to be rebooked on a flight that day. It was important for us to get to Illinois that day as it was my niece's birthday and we were all looking forward to spending time with her and celebrating her big 15th! So...we opted to fly into Midway in Chicago which my brother neglected to tell me and so did NorthWorst airlines, that there are no flights from Midway to Bloomington (where my brother lives). Well, we made it to Midway but had no way to get to Bloomington. All the car rental places were booked, there were limo's but they cost upwards of $800.00. Eventually, we discovered a bus that ran from Midway to Bloomington. That was another 2.5 hours. So, here's how the day looked...we got to Detroit airport by 7:30 to catch a 9am flight. We left Detroit at 2 and landed there at 2:30pm. We caught a bus at 6 and got to Bloomington at 8:30pm. Now, we had initially decided not to drive thinking it would take way to0 long to get to Bloomington, a whopping 6.5 hours by car...Who knew!?!

Oh, but wait, dear readers...on our return trip we had part deux of our travel from hell saga.

We were to leave Christmas Eve day to return to Detroit. We got to the Bloomington airport at 9 to catch a 10am flight. We loaded onto the plane and loaded off the plane with the knowledge that there was a slight difficulty and we were to be leaving shortly. The captain told us to "stay close to the terminal" in case we were able to leave shortly. Ha! The airport is so small we couldn't help but stay close.

Anyway...our flight was canceled and again we were not to be booked to leave Bloomington for Detroit until Christmas day...that is, if there were any available flights. So, we opted to fly to Atlanta then to Detroit. Remember our travel time was supposed to be 2.5 hours.
We left Bloomington at 2pm, landed in Atlanta at 4:30. We left Atlanta at 6pm and landed in Detroit at 8:30pm. We did not make it home until 10:30 that night.

So...here's the deal. I can understand that weather and plane troubles interfere with the best laid flight plans. But what I cannot understand is how unhelpful and how unfriendly many of the Northworst customer service people were. If I had been rude and nasty to them in my dealings with them during these trying times I would expect rudeness back. I could go on and on about this, but I won't. Suffice it to say they were not a helpful bunch. To add insult to injury...there was a particular TSA person at the Bloomington airport who was one nasty biotch. Again, if my family had been rude and nasty to her I would expect the same in return.

There was no call for the rudeness and nastiness we received those 2 days. For shame on Northwest and on the TSA person at Bloomington Airport.

In spite of all of this I want to wish you all a happy new year.

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: