Friday, March 30, 2007

Integrity

Okay, so I'm obsessed with this word. Well, not the word actually, but what it means.

Here's what the Merriam Webster dictionary says integrity means:

1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESS
synonym see HONESTY


I like the idea of acting from an unimpaired and undivided place. I would like to say that I act this way all the time, but I don't. I made a commitment to myself to act with integrity and to act from a place of integrity as often as I can. And when I find myself acting from a place of immorality or dishonesty or judgment I move myself back to a place of integrity as soon as humanly possible.

I saw on Oprah's show recently that she had a minister who was encouraging his congregation to not complain. The church had these purple bracelets made, like the WWJD bracelets, with the words "A complaint free world" written on it and are sending them to all over the world. The idea is to get people to not complain for 21 days. Supposedly 21 days is how long it takes to create a habit. So, the idea is if you don't complain for 21 days, then you have a habit of not complaining. Here's the recipe for making a new habit of not complaining...you put your bracelet on your wrist and when you find yourself complaining, you move it to the other wrist. You do this until you've gone 21 days without complaining, and then you've created a new habit. You can continue to wear your bracelet as a reminder to yourself and to show others that you are into not complaining. Of course, whenever you complain you have to move your bracelet to the other wrist.

Now, I think the idea of wearing a bracelet is sort of corny, but I like the idea of not complaining. Complaining does not fall into my definition of integrity and hey, if wearing a bracelet helps you to remember to not complain, then more power to ya!

4 comments:

Me voici ∞ Here I am said...

I'm not sure if I could resist the urge to fling my rubber bracelet like a rubber band at people who complain....

Not much of a complainer myself, more of a fixer....

Rosie said...

Integrity is a word I say alot, especially to my boys. It's hard to live sometimes and even harder to teach your children. So many times I've run up against TEACHERS, or COACHES, or PARENTS that want to take a short cut or look the other way.

When does the 21 day thing start or are we supposed to start it at any time?

Smart Socratics said...

Rosie, you can start it right this very minute. If you want, you can order a bracelet from the church. I think their website is http://ccunitykc.org/

Good luck with your not complaining. I'm still switching my bracelet back and forth from one wrist to the other. Whew, its hard to not complain.

Rosie said...

Thanks Sue. I think I'll check this out.