Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Waste not, want not.

Okay, just one more post before disconnecting my computer. I was cleaning out the freezer and fridge last night in preparation for moving the left-over food to the new house tonight and I ended up throwing away at least $100.00 worth of food that I had let go bad. Add to that, I cleaned out the pantry and packed up all the canned goods, pasta and other items that don't need refrigeration and there too I ended up throwing away at least $25.00 worth of food. What a waste. I've decided that I have to learn to shop more efficiently and to actually use the foods I've purchased. Otherwise I will become a wasteful person.

The idea of being a wasteful person does not sit well with me. I also like to think of myself as a person who is environment friendly. You know, I recycle.

It's sooooooo funny to me when I think of just how much stuff I waste. And, what I consider important. Like, for instance, I only use Charmin toilet paper. Charmin is not earth friendly, but I prefer its texture over the earth friendly tp texture. This, amongst many other infractions, makes me not so environmentally conscious.

Just so you know, I have replaced all of my light-bulbs with the energy-saving light bulbs. So, this makes me feel good. But, when I ended up throwing away all that food turned bad I felt like I was a hypocrite. I really have got to get more serious about this aspect of me - caring for the earth aspect.

What do you do for the environment?

1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Hope all went well. Moving is such an ordeal!!!!

Hmmm... re. being environmentally conscious, I always feel that I could do much better. Also, each time I clean up my fridge, I toss loads of stuff, it's not even funny. I have to quit buying foodstuff that I end up never touching.